GLAM organisations are encouraged to be aware of and make contact with emergency response agencies in their state or local area.
National Emergency Response Agencies
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC): Emergency is the official emergency broadcaster throughout Australia charged with providing emergency warnings, important news and information during any disaster or emergency affecting the Australian community. During emergencies, updates will be issued by authorised emergency services, and emergency warnings will interrupt normal programming when necessary.
Bureau of Meteorology
The Bureau of Meteorology is Australia’s national weather, climate and water agency. Through regular forecasts, warnings, monitoring and advice spanning the Australian region and Antarctic territory, its expertise and services assist Australians in dealing with the harsh realities of their natural environment, including drought, floods, fires, storms, tsunami and tropical cyclones.
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
CSIRO extreme events research is helping Australia better understand, respond to and prepare for extreme events and emergency situations, such as bushfires, floods, cyclones and drought.
Dept. of Home Affairs: Emergency Management
Emergency Management leads the Australian Government disaster and emergency management response. They work to build a disaster resilient Australia that prevents, prepares, responds and recovers from disasters and emergencies.
Disaster Assist is a website set up by the Australian Government to give better access to information about recovery assistance following a disaster. It provides information on assistance for current disasters and links to assistance and responses to previous disasters that have impacted Australians, both in Australia and overseas.
Geoscience Australia’s Community Safety focus supports Australia’s capability to manage the impact of natural hazards, through developing models, methods, information and tools to analyse hazard risk and their impacts which emergency managers and decision makers can use for planning and preparation through to response and recovery.
State and Territory Emergency Response Agencies
Australian Capital Territory
- ACT Emergency Services Agency
New South Wales
- Office of Emergency Management
- NSW State Emergency Services (SES)
- NSW Rural Fire Service
- NSW Fire and Rescue
- Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
- Queensland Health Disaster Management
- Queensland Rural Fire Service (RFS)
- Queensland State Emergency Services (SES)
- South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission
- South Australian State Emergency Services (SES)
- Country Fire Service (CFS)
- Emergency Management Victoria (EMV)
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services: Emergencies
- Victoria State Emergency Services (VIC SES)
- Country Fire Authority (CFA)
- Flood Victoria