ICCROM and the Prince Claus Fund have published an innovative handbook and toolkit on First Aid to Cultural Heritage in Times of Crisis, for free download.
The resource has multiple uses: it will help to improve emergency preparedness within cultural heritage institutions, serve as a reference to train others, and act as a guide for planning and implementing coordinated cultural heritage first aid.
The First Aid to Cultural Heritage in Times of Crisis Handbook and Toolkit is the outcome of nearly a decade of field experience gained by ICCROM, and a close partnership between ICCROM, the Prince Claus Fund and the Smithsonian Cultural Rescue Initiative. It has been developed to answer to the increasing need for cultural heritage professionals and humanitarians alike to have a reliable and user-friendly reference that integrates heritage safeguarding into emergency and recovery activities, offering standard operating procedures that are applicable in almost any crisis context.
Who will be interested in reading it?
- Cultural heritage professionals and institutions that would like to develop coordinated emergency plans.
- Community-based organizations and humanitarian aid professionals who are working to enhance disaster resilience in-risk prone regions of the world.
- Civil protection, civil defence and military personnel, firefighters, and others in charge of protecting communities and their assets during disasters and conflicts.
What does it feature?
- The Handbook offers step-by-step instructions and real-life case examples. It walks readers through the three phases of cultural heritage First Aid – (1) situation analysis; (2) post event, on-site damage and risk assessment; (3) security and stabilisation, which collectively lead to early recovery.
- The phases include workflows and procedures that resemble those followed by emergency responders and humanitarian aid professionals, making in-field coordination possible.
- The layout and language is simple and easy to understand.
- It is interactive, so you can move quickly through the sections in order to arrive at what you need.
- Diagrams, photos and drawings illustrate the text for easy reference.
- A glossary and several references allow readers to deepen their understanding of concepts and materials.
- The toolkit is rich with checklists, templates and tips that can be customised to any situation.
Download it, save it to your phone, and share it with as many people as possible so that together we can improve emergency preparedness and response, and build resilience for cultural heritage worldwide.